We often talk about the importance of blogging here at Bevisible – in fact, writing a blog is one of our top recommendations for small businesses looking to up their marketing game! But we’re sometimes asked why blogs are so helpful, and how you can get the most out of just one post.
If you’ve also been wondering about that, read on! Here are some of our top blog tips for small businesses.
The importance of blogging
Firstly, we need to answer the question of why blogs are important for small businesses.
To put it simply, blogs can act as a key part of small business’ marketing. That’s because they are hugely beneficial for your website’s SEO. Blog posts give you opportunities to rank in search engines like Google. This in turn will drive more traffic to your website and help new customers discover your business!
(Want to know more? We’ve written a post all about SEO tips and why it is so important – check it out here!)
Blog posts can also be very useful resources for your customers. Here you can answer questions about your products or services, share your top tips, and give your opinions about new industry trends and events. This can help you create a relationship with your customers and establish your voice as an authority in your industry!
Where to get ideas for a blog post
We’re often told that it’s difficult to decide what to talk about in a blog post, and we absolutely understand that! But there are ways to come up with topics quickly and easily. For example:
- Share recent news and insights – was there a big event in your industry? What were your thoughts about it?
- Look at popular keywords – what are people searching for? (Not sure how to find keywords? This is a great post to help you.)
- Look at your competitors – what are they writing about? Do you have a different perspective?
- Ask customers what they need help with – you can answer their questions in your blog post
What to include in a blog post
To make sure that you’re getting the most from your blog, make sure that you’re including:
- Links – add internal links (links to other pages of your website) and external links (links to other websites). Internal links create paths of information for your customers to follow, making it likely that they’ll spend more time on your site. External links add value to the article, and can help search engines rank your post higher.
- Headings – using headings will make it easier for search engines to understand what your blog is about. If you include keywords in your headers, for example, search engines are more likely to rank your website highly
- Visuals – these will help to break up the text, making your blog easier to read. If you add alt text to your visuals, this will also give more information for search engines to use to rank your site.
- Meta description – A page’s meta description tag is displayed as part of the search in a search engine results page. It gives the reader an idea of what the blog post is about, and gives search engines yet another way to rank the usefulness of your blog.
- Keywords – don’t forget to add your keyword in the first few sentences of your blog, as well as throughout the post itself. (But don’t go overboard and have it in every sentence! Remember, you’re writing for your customers, not Google!)
Other important blog tips
Readability is also very important when it comes to your blog’s SEO! Your customers are more likely to spend their time reading your blog if you make it easy for them. You can make your blog more readable by using:
- Shorter sentences
- Smaller paragraphs
- Bulleted lists
- White space around text
Finally, think about the length of your post. It should be at least 300 words in order to rank well on Google. Longer posts (1000 words or more) tend to do even better. However, you do need to think about your audience. Do your customers have the time to read a long blog post? If it’s a complicated topic, would it be easier to break it down in several shorter blogs? There’s no hard and fast rule.
By following these blog tips, you should be able to come up with topics and write your SEO-driven posts with ease! But if you’re looking for more support, please get in touch with us to see how we can help you.
Just remember though the importance of blogging for your business!